MAT Waiver Training
Through the Comprehensive Addiction and Recovery Act (CARA), nurse practitioners (NP) and physician assistants (PA) can become waivered to prescribe buprenorphine in the treatment of opioid use disorder (OUD) after completing 24 hours of specialized training.
The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) has approved two of the three Opioid Use Disorder Education Program courses as fulfilling the 16-hour portion of the NP/PA 24 hour required training for waiver eligibility. These courses are:
- Identification, Counseling, and Treatment of Opioid Use Disorder
- Collaborative Care Approaches for Management of Opioid Use Disorder
If you are interested in applying for your waiver to prescribe buprenorphine, follow these simple steps:
1. Complete the following courses:
- OUDEP 2: Identification, Counseling, and Treatment of Opioid Use Disorder
- OUDEP 3: Collaborative Care Approaches for Management of Opioid Use Disorder
2. Once you have completed these courses, you can obtain a certificate of completion from AAAP to verify you have met the requirement for the 16-hour portion of the MAT waiver training. To do so, use the appropriate links below and you will be asked to upload your certificates of completion for the OUDEP 2 and OUDEP 3 courses. *This will verify your completion of both trainings.
Link to upload certificates for Nurse Practitioners:
Link to upload certificates for Physician Assistants:
*Note: When uploading your certificates of completion (noting eight (8) credits) for the OUDEP 2 and OUDEP 3 courses, you will need to upload your certificate for the ENTIRE course. Do NOT upload certificates of completion for individual units within each course.
3. In addition to this 16-hour coursework, you will need to complete any one of the following 8-hour MAT waiver courses. AAAP, as part of the Providers Clinical Support System (PCSS), offers a variety of FREE MAT waiver training options below:
- MAT NP/PA 8-hour Online Course – online 8-hour course
- Half and Half (In-person) – In-person and online
- Half and Half (Webinar) – Webinar and online
- Full Day in person – In-person 8-hour course
Still have questions?
- For questions relating to CME Certificates that participants receive upon completion of the Harvard Medical School courses, please contact: email@example.com
- For answers to frequently asked questions about MAT Waiver Training, please visit the PCSS FAQ Page. After reviewing the FAQ page, should you have further questions related to obtaining the MAT Waiver, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- You will also find information on the PCSS website about FREE clinical mentoring with addiction specialists and pain specialists as well as other educational resources by leading experts in the field at no cost.
SPONSORSHIP AND SUPPORT
DATA 2000 Sponsoring Organization: American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry (AAAP)
*Funding for this initiative was made possible (in part) by grant nos. 5U79TI026556-02 and 3U79TI026556-02S1 from SAMHSA. The views expressed in written conference materials or publications and by speakers and moderators do not necessarily reflect the official policies of the Department of Health and Human Services; nor does mention of trade names, commercial practices, or organizations imply endorsement by the U.S. government.