Harvard Medical School offers postgraduate medical education for physicians, researchers, and other healthcare providers.
Our offerings include:
- Master’s degree and yearlong certificate programs on topics including clinical research; patient safety and quality; leadership; and medical education
- Open enrollment programs on focused subjects like pediatric leadership, cancer, and surgery
- Custom programs designed and delivered for hospitals and health systems; regions; and organizations training clinicians and clinician-scientists
- An extensive, best-in-class catalog of continuing medical education (CME) activities to help you meet licensure requirements
- An innovative CME Online digital hub with CME and CE courses for doctors, researchers, and other health care professionals
- Blog articles, videos, and other timely thought leadership content
Postgraduate Medical Education is part of The Office for External Education at Harvard Medical School. The Office for External Education is led by Dean David H. Roberts, MD.
Diverse Participant Base
Programs serve the educational needs of physicians, clinicians, researchers and healthcare administrators across the globe. Participants work in:
- Medical Centers
- Clinical Research Organizations
- Primary Care & Specialty Medical Sites
- Public Sector
- Private Sector
- Non Profit Medical Associations
- Higher Education Institutions
Programs are designed for individuals and organizations throughout the world. The design of programs can be adapted to specialized needs. Programs are developed and offered by Harvard Medical School faculty with input from top academic and clinical experts from around the world. The diversity of our faculty is paralleled by the diverse nature of our student body. Participants include interdisciplinary medical professionals from across the globe. Strong networks are formed throughout our intensive learning experiences.
Rooted in Mission
Postgraduate medical education reinforces Harvard Medical School's mission to create and nurture a diverse community of the best people committed to leadership in alleviating human suffering caused by disease. As a hallmark for academic and intellectual rigor, HMS seeks to set the standards of excellence world-wide for clinical care, medical research, and inter-professional education.
Innovative Learning Methods
Many of our programs leverage a blended learning approach, which combines live and web-based class sessions, interactive group assignments, and one-on-one access to Harvard Medical School faculty. The duration of programs varies from a few days to a two-year master's degree. This allows clinicians, clinical scientists, and clinical administrators to choose what meets their career needs and work schedule.